Thursday, July 13, 2006

Reasoned Discourse

I just want to highlight a line from one of the replies to Mr. Gerstein's last post:
Go stick your head back up Holy Joe's a** where you usually dine, loser.

He also called Mr. Gerstein incompetent and "a D.C. pimp." Now I don't know anything about what happened with Sirota's job application with the Lieberman campaign. But I'm glad to see such high-minded rhetoric coming from Mr. Sirota's supporter.

I find it interesting that this commenter and so many others on the Lamont side resort to name-calling. Mr. Gerstein is more than capable of defending himself, as he showed with his impressive and fact-based retort to Sirota's heated, name-calling reply. So I'll move onto myself, and hope that anyone looking to attack this blog as a Lieberman campaign set-up will read this and be preemptively corrected.

My name is Matt Smith. I started this blog and am its sole administrator. I live in Philadelphia, where I'm finishing up my Master's degree in educational policy. I am and never have been connected to Joe Lieberman or his campaign in any way, shape, or form; in fact, I have never volunteered for any major Democratic candidate except Howard Dean.

I actually would encourage any Lamont supporters out there to just try and find a connection, because I would love nothing more than to see Lamont-ites waste their time like that.

This blog was started because I was tired of seeing ridiculous, hate-filled quotes (like the one above) coming from Lamont supporters - and seeing those statements go unchallenged on the web. This blog was set up to provide a voice for practical progressives who wish to debunk the myths that are so frequently told about Senator Lieberman. As Mr. Gerstein says below, we had never spoken until two days ago.

In contrast to the person quoted above and others of his ilk, I intend for the posts on this blog to be rational and fact-based rather than hateful and filled with name-calling, though I obviously can't control those (including Mr. Sirota) who choose to comment on LieberDem posts. If anyone wants to read more about Mr. Sirota's job application with the Lieberman campaign, Mr. Gerstein said that he will discuss it on his personal blog (http://dangerstein.blogspot.com/ ).

Hotheads like Mr. Sirota are just going to have to live with the fact that a sane, rational, progressive, regular old people-powered Democrat has started a blog which is decidedly not anti-Lieberman.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Colbert talks Lieberman:

http://www.myleftnutmeg.com/frontPage.do

Joe Lieberman - America's Fox News Democrat

7/13/2006 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous: Colbert piece is brilliant, thanks. As far as a slogan for the Lieberman campaign, my current favorite is:

Lord Lieberman is the Dean Scream of 2006

7/13/2006 11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't post much here because it's kind of like trolling but I just wanted to say one thing. I have personally heard Senator Lieberman on Sean Hannity's show when Hannity has attacked Democrats as traitors and claimed that we wanted to lose the war. I have never heard Senator Lieberman give anything more than a tepid rebuttal to those disgusting attacks. I have heard him say that Hannity is "a great American." Great Americans don't attempt to divide this country using disgusting lies as Hannity has done over and over again.

I strongly defended Senator Lieberman through-out the primaries. I defended him because he does have a strong record of backing Democratic causes for decades. However, I can no longer defend a man that refuses to defend us against disgusting attacks by people like Sean Hannity and the rest of the hatefull people like him. If Senator Lieberman had defended us half as hard as I have defended him he would not be in the position he is in today.

Mike S.

7/14/2006 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Smith, the 'sphere no place for the thin-skinned. Do you understand that you're using GOP talking points when you complain about the alleged anger of netroots activists? Do you have any idea how whiny, pompous, and out-of-it you seem when you complain (boo-hoo) about all the mean things said about Lieberman (or your colleague Dangerstein, who apparently can't defend himself) Especially since you fail to address the substantive criticism of Joe. For example, I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, from the site to address Joe's quote in which he criticizes criticism of the president. I'll say it for the third and final time: until you address this quote--you know the one--this site lacks credibility.

7/14/2006 2:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ken Balberi. Thanks for commenting. They should hire you for this site since you're willing to do the heavy-lifting that they're unwilling to do.

You say that Joe didn't questioni the patriotism of those who criticize the president. Fair enough, but it's amazing that you have to clarify this point. You write:

"To say something is perilous is a different matter than to suggest it is treasonous."

It's perilous to criticize the president, a president who cherry-picked intelligence, exagerrated the threat the Iraq posed, and failed to plan for the aftermath? To criticize him, to mistrust him, is perilous? Please tell me, Ken, what has president Bush done to earn our trust. Do you, does Joe, trust President Bush? Isn't the job of an opposition party to oppose, to criticize? I'll accept that Joe wasn't questioning my patriotism. But I can't accept his belief that criticism of the president is "perilous."

7/14/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Matt Smith said...

Mr. Mizner-

You'll have to forgive me for not responding to your post. Please understand that I work two jobs - a 9-5 job plus a tutoring job. I barely have the time to write my posts, and have quickly discovered that I simply don't have the time to do much more than read comments now that most posts are getting 15-20 (or more) comments. If I reply to one, people will accuse me of picking and choosing which comments to reply to and which not to, and I'll be facing more accusations of refusing to do the "heavy-lifting" as you call it.

I'm sorry you took my silence as somehow ducking the issue; I assure you it was nothing more than lack of time. Besides, as you yourself said - Mr. Balbari did an excellent job of answering the critique and providing it's context. I'm glad to see germane, dignified, two-way discussions going on in the comments.

I hope that I've addressed this to your satisfaction, and in any case I now have to get back to work until at least 5 PM.

Best,
Matt

7/14/2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I get it, Matt. Work, we've all got to do it. Maybe tonight when you're done your day job, you can explain this quote from Time's Michael Ware. Peace.

"I and some other journalists had lunch with Senator Joe Lieberman the other day and we listened to him talking about Iraq. Either Senator Lieberman is so divorced from reality that he's completely lost the plot or he knows he's spinning a line. Because one of my colleagues turned to me in the middle of this lunch and said he's not talking about any country I've ever been to and yet he was talking about Iraq, the very country where we were sitting."

7/14/2006 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If any of you people were literate or honest enough, you'd note that he never said he wasn't willing to accept criticism. You see, centrists are actually are willing to deal with people who disagree with us (I don't know if the people on this site are centrists...I'm just assuming).

All he said was that he wants to see the criticism be based on facts rather than name-calling, which is hardly an unreasonable request. Though $100 says you all aren't capable of being quite so civilized.

7/14/2006 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home